Guidelines for Cholesterol Management at Dr PhysiQ Wellness Center
Guidelines for Cholesterol management is an important part of reducing atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD). Evidence-based treatments are readily available at Dr PhysiQ Health and Welless Ccenter.
WHAT IS CHOLESTEROL?
It is a waxy fat like substance that is found in the cells of the body which is used to make hormones, vitamin D and for digestion of food. However excessive cholesterol in the body which are most times gotten from animal sources such as egg yolk, meat and cheese can be detrimental. It can combine with other substances in the blood to form plaques which stick to the arterial walls making them narrow and restricting blood flow to the heart, brain and other body parts. Consequently, this may result to hypertension , coronary artery disease and even stroke.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF CHOLESTEROL MARKER
- HDL: This is known as the high density lipoprotein or good cholesterol which takes cholesterol from other body parts to the liver for excretion.
- LDL: This is known as the low density lipoprotein or the bad cholesterol. An elevated LDL leads to plaques buildup in the arteries causing harm to the heart and other body parts.
- VLDL: This is known as the very low density lipoprotein or the bad cholesterol which carries mainly triglycerides.
GUIDELINES FOR CHOLESTEROL MANAGEMENT: CAUSES OF HIGH CHOLESTEROL
- Poor eating habit: eating lots of bad or saturated fatty food found in dairy products, chocolate, meats,baked food, processed food can raise the LDL or bad cholesterol.
- Lack of physical activities: engaging in more of sedentary activities like sitting with little or no exercising can reduce the HDL which is the good cholesterol.
- Overweight: being overweight is a risk factor of having hyperlipidemia.
4 . Smoking
HOW CAN CHOLESTEROL BE DIAGNOSED?
This is done through a “LIPID PROFILE TEST” which measures the cholesterol level in the blood. It is advised that fasting is done 9-12hours prior to the test in order to get an accurate result. Below are the following parameters gotten from the Lipid profile test
Total cholesterol(TC): it is a combination of the LDL and the HDl. Values greater than or equal to 200mg/dl is considered high. Values less than 200mg/dlis normal.
Triglyceride(TG): values greater than or equal to 160mg/dl is high while values less than 160mg/dl is normal.
HDL: values greater than 50mg/dlis normal while values less than 50mg/dl is low.
LDL: Values greater than 130mg/dl is high while less than 130mg/dl is normal
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS AND DANGERS OF HAVING A HIGH BAD CHOLESTEROL
Unfortunately,high cholesterol is a silent killer disease which means it has no symptoms. The only way you get to know is to get a blood test done.
When plaques develop , they can restrict the flow of oxygenated blood to the heart causing heart diseases such as angina and heart attacks. Additionally, these plaques can also block the arteries from sending in oxygenated blood to the brain thereby leading to stroke.
MANAGEMENT OF CHOLESTEROL
Here at Dr physiQ, the management is divided into two parts
- DRUG THERAPY: HMG-COA inhibitors otherwise known as STATINS are the first line of choice for an LDL greater than 130mg/dl. Examples include artovastatin, rosuvastatin and simvastatin.
- DR PHYSIQ’ S FORMULA ula: this formula has been coined out for the prevention, management and treatment of various ailments of which cholesterol is part of it.It is known as OWNED. The explanation goes like this
O stands for OXYGEN: oxygen as medicine has become of immense benefits in the treatment of various disease conditions including cholesterol. With ozone therapy, the heart gets saturated with oxygenated blood, takes off the inflammation and clears off the plaques thereby enhancing movement of the oxygenated blood into the heart and other body part. With this mechanism bad cholesterol lowering can be achieved.
W stands for WATER: the importance of water as medicine cannot be overemphasized. The body is seen as an aquarium which needs water to continually function accordingly or else death of cells may occur . When the body is dehydrated, the blood becomes acidic which can build up LDL but enough water intake helps to keep the blood clean and eliminates excessive build up of cholesterol waste from the body. The recommended daily intake of water for adults is at least 6L.
N stands for NUTRITION: Nutrition is an important aspect of cholesterol management and it has been divided into 3 sub units :
- IV NUTRITION: A cocktail of micro nutrients containing Vitamin B and C, magnesium, potassium , zinc, iron are sent via the vein directly to the cells to revitalize and rejuvenate them in order to function properly to achieve a healthy tissue, organ and system.
- MEAL PLAN: High fiber rich foods and fruits rich in omega 3( avocados ,apples , berries) vegetables ( brocollis, cauliflower)abs plant proteins( beans and lentils), fish ( salmons) nuts and seeds( chai , flax , almonds) whole grains ( quinoa , white chick, antioxidant rice) can help in raising the good HDL.
c. DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS: cholesterol improving supplements such as fish oils, flaxseed, garlic,green tea, barley,niacin may help reduce the bad LDL and elevate the good HDL. All of these can be gotten from our food although in minute quantities which might not be adequate for the body. Hence the need to supplement with the aforementioned.
E stands for EXERCISE: exercise is important in cholesterol management, treatment and prevention as it has been proven to increase the amount of HDL in the blood. This means that the HDL reduces the amount of LDL in the blood thereby reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Adding a 45minutes exercise to your routine reduces your risk of hyperlipidemia and helps also in the management.
D stands for DETOX: this cleansing process is divided into two parts
Ionic foot bath detox: this process works by pulling out toxins of your body through your feet .
Colonics hydrotherapy: this detoxification process involves the removal of toxins in the body through the colon. During a colon cleanse, large amount of water in an enema is passsed into the rectum with the use of a tube . This is allowed to sit in the colon for a short time before being removed. The process flushes out the fluid and waste. The benefits of it is numerous ranging from weight loss, hypertension control and even cholesterol management because the Bad Cholesterol are being excreted in the process.
In summary, it is rightly said that the best way to fight a disease is by not having it at all and the only way to achieve this is by “LIFESTYLE MODIFICATION “which has been discussed above in the Dr PHYSIQ’s formula “OWNED”. Dr PHYSIQ is a medically guided wellness center with qualified wellness experts, consultants, physiotherapist, nutritionists, health coaches and pharmacists where a holistic approach to health is practiced.
Visit us today and be sure to have your cholesterol treated, prevented, possibly reversed and most importantly an ultimate wellness experience.
WE CARE WITH LOVE!!!