Reflexology is a type of massage that involves applying different amounts of pressure to the feet, hands, and ears. It’s based on a theory that these body parts are connected to certain organs and body systems.
Our Reflexologists believe that applying pressure to these parts offers a range of health benefits.
How does reflexology work?
Reflexology rests on the ancient Chinese belief in qi (pronounced “chee”), or “vital energy.” According to this belief, qi flows through each person. When a person feels stressed, their body blocks qi.
This can cause an imbalance in the body that leads to illness. Reflexology aims to keep qi flowing through the body, keeping it balanced and disease free.
In Chinese medicine, different body parts correspond with different pressure points on the body. Reflexologists use maps of these points in the feet, hands, and ears to determine where they should apply pressure.
They believe their touch sends energy flowing through a person’s body until it reaches the area in need of healing. A reflexologist’s touch may help to calm the central nervous system, promoting relaxation and other benefits just like any form of massage.
What are the benefits of Dr. PhysiQ Reflexology Therapy?
- Aside from relaxation and stress management, reflexology can have a number of other benefits too, including:
- Cancer – We use reflexology therapy regularly on those suffering with cancer. It is known to reduce symptoms caused by chemotherapy including nausea, pain, constipation and diarrhoea. It can also help with sleep and anxiety.
- Arthritis – reflexology therapy has also been used to treat for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, with patients reportedly feeling up to 40% less pain.
- Hypertension – a common risk of heart disease, reflexology assists with the reduction of hypertension.
- Anxiety and depression – the two most common mental health problems. The relaxation side of reflexology can extend to the mind to calm and aid any signs of depression and anxiety.
- Multiple sclerosis – this is a disease of the nervous system and it’s suggested that reflexology decreases the fatigue felt with multiple sclerosis, and that it may reduce the tingling sensations experienced.
- Circulation – receiving foot reflexology can improve your blood circulation to vital organs. This in turn can result in quicker healing and regrowth of any damaged cells.
- It can also be useful during pregnancy and even reduce the risks of post-natal depression.
- Reflexology has an ability to stimulate nerve functions that help your body increase your energy levels, circulation, central nervous system, prevent migraines, clear urinary infections, sleep disorders and depression.
- Boost immune system and improve general well-being
If, however, you suffer with varicose veins, ingrown toenails, bruises, cuts, foot fractures, athlete’s foot or a foot sore then you should avoid receiving reflexology treatment.